Power Outage at Haverhill High School

This afternoon at Haverhill High School, a tree fell on a power line, causing a power outage and the fire alarms to go off. All students and staff were safely evacuated, and the Haverhill Fire Department responded. Students were then released early from school as the Haverhill Fire Department investigated further. Buses ran early to accommodate transportation. After the investigation, Haverhill Fire Department found that when the power outage occurred and the backup generator powered on, the generator overheated, causing smoke to enter the building and the fire alarms to go off. There were no flames or damage to the building. Power should be restored to the building soon. All after-school activities and sports continued as scheduled, and the school will be open and functioning on Monday. All students and staff are safe and unharmed.