Haverhill High School
Principal’s Weekly Update- Week Ending 2/3
It is hard to believe February is already here. Term 3 has started. Term 2 Parent-Teacher conferences will be held tonight starting at 6:00 pm. I want to recognize two of our staff members who will be honored tomorrow by the Greater Haverhill Chamber of Commerce. Lisa Hunt, HHS Internship Coordinator and Victoria Kelly, HHS Career Academy Coordinator have been selected as the 2016 Annual Business Award recipients in the category of education. They will be recognized tomorrow morning at the annual 26th Annual Business Awards Breakfast. Congratulations to both!
I have some sad news to share. One of our former English teachers, Mr. Ernie Andrews, passed away unexpectedly in Connecticut earlier this week. Mr. Andrews taught English here at HHS for about 5 years. Mr. Andrews left us in March of 2016. There will be a candlelight vigil here tomorrow night at 6:00 pm in the front of the school in his memory.
CVTE Applications Due- 2/8/17
Students interested in applying to the HHS National Academy Foundation of Informational Technology (CVTE), Health Occupations or Programming and Web Development Programs (CTE) are due February 8th.With the February 8th dealine looming for the applications, HHS staff and students visited the 4 middle schools, Hillview Montessori and Sacred Hearts to share information about all of the wonderful programs and opportunities to be had here at HHS. If you have questions please contact Career Academy Coordinator, Victoria Kelly @ email@example.com or Dean of STEM- Science, Ed Roberts @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Class of 2018 Exciting opportunity presentation tonight at 5:30 – HHS Auditorium
Haverhill Public Schools has created an ACT and SAT score improvement program in partnership with Chyten Education to prepare our juniors for the June ACT and SAT tests. Haverhill is providing 150 free scholarships to this program which will be held at Haverhill High School starting in March. Classes will be held on Saturdays in two-hour increments. The first 100 spaces will be given on a first come, first served basis. In the next few weeks you will receive some email correspondence from Chyten to provide greater detail about their program offerings. They will be present tonight, Thursday evening, February 2nd in conjunction with conference night. From 5:30 to 6:00 Chyten representatives will be in the HHS auditorium to introduce themselves and the services they offer. They will also be available in the main lobby until 7:30 to answer any questions you have. During the regular school day on Friday, February 10th all juniors will take an ACT vs. SAT Comparison Test. Scores from the comparison test will be made available to you the following week. This report will give you insight into which test format best favors your son or daughter and what preparation will be needed in order to score within range of their goals. We feel this is a great opportunity for our juniors, and look forward to seeing the success this preparation will bring to the HHS Class of 2018!
Class of 2018 Balfour Ring Night
The Class of 2018 Balfour Ring Night will be held Monday February 6th in the cafeteria from 5-7pm. If students have any questions or need a packet please see Mrs. McIntyre (K30) or Mrs. Jenkinson (M23).
MCAS Bio Re-test
All students taking the MCAS February Biology test should report to the cafeteria on Monday and Tuesday, February 6th and 7th, promptly at 7:25 AM, for the MCAS Biology re-test.
Attention Seniors Class of 2017:
The dates, times and locations of all your spring events have been posted on the website with hard copies available in the main entrance. Senior banquet, prom, chapel and more. It’s all there!
The Model UN group will be having a comedy night at Haverhill High School in the auditorium on February 16, 2017 at 7:00. Ticket will be $5.00 at the door.
School Counseling Update
Course Recommendations for 2017-2018
Beginning next week, all teachers at HHS will be recommending course levels for their students for the 2017-2018 school year. Students will be assigned a specific week by grade in which they can go into the Student Portal to review the recommendations of teachers as well as select additional classes and electives. The Class of 2018 will be the first to select courses. All juniors will be able to log in to the Student Portal and choose their classes from Monday February 6th through Friday February 10th. Directions on how students and parents can access course recommendations can be found on the HHS website. Juniors will meet with their school counselors individually to review course selections during the week of February 13th. Sophomores will meet with their counselors during the week of February 27th and freshman will meet with their counselors during the week of March 6th.
Important Information for Seniors!
- The HHS Scholarship Portal opened on Tuesday January 3rd! Directions on how to access the portal can be found on the School Counseling Department page on the HHS website http://hhs.haverhill-ps.org/scholarship-database-directions/.
- Tis the season for scholarships! Seniors, be sure to check the available scholarships on Naviance each week. Between now and February we receive many different scholarship applications and we will post each one on Naviance. Don’t miss out!
General Reminders for Seniors
Many of those seniors who applied Early Action or Early Decision to colleges have heard back with a decision. Don’t forget to update your counselor and enter the college application decision in your Naviance account! If you receive any scholarships from a college, please bring us a copy of your merit scholarship letter so that we can brag about your accomplishments! We are eagerly waiting to see which colleges students are being accepted to and we like to share this news!
Representatives from Northern Essex Community College hold Information Sessions in the Counseling Office on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month. Sessions run from 11am to 1pm. Seniors are invited to attend any of these sessions to learn more about the admission process, academic programs, and how to proactively prepare yourself to be a college student.
- The United States Naval Academy offers two summer programs for high school students each year. Additional information and applications for these programs should be completed online at https://www.usna.edu/Admissions/Programs/index.php.
- Summer Seminar– This is a competitive and fast-paced course for students who have completed their junior year of high school. Summer Seminar is ideal for students who are interested in pursuing an appointment to one of the service academies. Students will learn about life and academics at the Naval Academy. Online applications are now open for students interested in pursuing the Summer Seminar.
- Summer STEM Program- Interested in Engineering? Are you curious about what it takes to become an Engineer? Are you passionate about Math and Science? Are you going to be a sophomore or junior next year? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, the Summer STEM Program might be for you! This is a first come, first served opportunity so do not wait to apply!
- The Francis College of Engineering at UMass Lowell will host two overnight, week-long summer camps for high school students in July. Students will have the chance to live on campus for a week and discover the many facets of engineering though hands-on projects and interactions with students and faculty. Students will work in one of the new 3D-Printing or CNC Machining labs. The cost for the camp includes all overnight accommodations as well as meals and supplies. There are financial scholarships available. For more information, visit https://www.uml.edu/Engineering/stem-pipeline/Engineering-summer-camp/default.aspx. Registration opens February 1st. If you have any questions in regards to guidance please contact the Supervisor of Guidance K-12, Ms. Jami Dion @ 978-374-5700 ext. 1133 or via email @ email@example.com
- Finally, tomorrow, Friday 2/3 is New England Patriots Day at HHS. I hope everyone can wear their Patriots gear or red, white and blue to support the team!
Have a wonderful week-end!