Haverhill High School
Principal’s Weekly Update- October 6, 2017
The Columbus Day weekend is upon us. HHS has been very busy with so many activities.
Free and Reduced Lunch Forms Due
A quick reminder that Free and Reduced lunch forms are due October 12th. This includes all renewals. The forms are available in our main office and on the website. See link for forms.
Picture Re-Take Day- 10/13
Friday, 10/13-Picture re-take day for students and staff that didn’t get their pictures taken last month. See attached form
YMCA Teacher of the Year
It is time again to recognize excellent educators. Please nominate a teacher who possesses all of the qualities that make an excellent teacher. The Haverhill YMCA’s 9th annual Educator of the Year will be held at DiBurros on Thursday, November 16th at 5:30 pm. See attached nomination forms.
HHS Hosting Academy Night October 18th from 6:00-7:30 pm
HHS is hosting the Annual Academy Night. Join us and learn about all the different opportunities both curricular and extra curricular for our students. See flyer below.
Mercedes Baseball and Softball Academy Flyer
Unified Basketball Team
Haverhill High School is sponsoring a Unified Basketball Team this fall. This team, supported by the MIAA and by the Special Olympics, brings together students with and without intellectual abilities on the basketball court. We will be competing against other schools in the Merrimack Valley Conference. To sign up, please visit the HHS Athletics web site or stop by the athletic department located in the pool building for more information. The first practice will be held this Wednesday, October 11 from 2:30 – 4:00 PM in the main gym.
School Counseling Update
- Parents and students are invited to attend a free MEFA College Financing Seminar, which will be held on October 12th at 6:30pm. This seminar is offered through MEFA, the Commonwealth’s authority on planning, saving, and paying for college. An experienced MEFA representative will provide an overview of the college financing process, including types of financial aid, how to apply, and financing options for your family. Before the seminar, be sure to visit MEFA’s website- www.mefa.org– to download a copy of the seminar presentation in English or Spanish and explore other tools and resources to assist you in the college planning process. There will be two sessions held simultaneously in English and Spanish. The English presentation will be held in the HHS Auditorium. The Spanish presentation will be held in the Main Office Conference Room.
- The counseling office will be administering the PSAT/NMSQT to registered students in grades 10 and 11 on Wednesday October 11th. Testing will begin promptly at 7:25am and will end at 11am. Students should report directly to the M-wing on the day of testing. Any student who registered for the PSAT must complete a Pre-Administration session where basic demographic information is entered on answer sheets. Students who missed last week’s sessions will be contacted by their counselor on Tuesday.
Information for Seniors
AP Student Expectations Agreement forms and AP exam deposits are due on October 20th. Forms were distributed at the AP Kickoff Parent Meeting last night and were given to AP teachers this week for those students who still need a copy. Any student enrolled in AP course(s) must submit a $45 deposit per exam. The completed form and payment can be turned in to the School Counseling Department. Payment may be made in the form of cash or check (payable to Haverhill High School). Please contact Mrs. Dion with any questions or concerns.
- College admission representatives are visiting HHS this fall. All scheduled visits are listed in Naviance under the “Colleges” tab. Students can sign up to meet with a college representative directly through Naviance or by signing up in the counseling office. Students must sign up a minimum of one day in advance and will receive a pass to attend this appointment in their first period class. Representatives from the following institutions will visit during the week of October 10th: Springfield College, Keene State College, Framingham State College, University of New Hampshire, Southern New Hampshire University, University of New Haven, University of Connecticut, UMaine Farmington, Colby Sawyer, Plymouth State University, UMass Amherst, and North Shore Community College.
- The second annual Cape Ann Regional Portfolio Night will be held on October 23rd from 6:30-8:30pm in the Hubbard and Maddocks Galleries at the Rockport Association and Museum. This event provides students with the opportunity to meet and have their portfolio reviewed by Admissions Counselors from AICAD Schools (Association for Independent Colleges of Art and Design) and to gain a better understanding of post-secondary opportunities in art and design. Colleges in attendance will include Lesley University College of Art and Design, Maryland Institute College of Art, Montserrat College of Art, School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Tyler School of Art at Temple University, and more. Students should bring a working portfolio consisting of 10-15 pieces or a sketchbook.
- The Ron Brown Scholar Program seeks to identify students who will make significant contributions to society. Applicants should demonstrate academic achievement, exhibit leadership ability, participate in community service activities, and have demonstrated financial need. To be eligible, applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents, Black/African-American, and current high school seniors. Each year, 20 or more students are selected as Ron Brown Scholars and receive $10,000 annually for four years. To be given early consideration students must apply by November 1st. The final deadline to submit scholarship materials is January 9th. Students who are interested in applying should visit the School Counseling Office for a copy of the application. If you have questions please contact the Supervisor of Guidance K-12, Jami Dion @ 978-374-5700 ext. 1133
Looking forward to the three-day weekend ahead of us. See everyone on Tuesday.
Beth Kitsos, Principal