Haverhill High School
Principal’s Weekly Update- November 22, 2017
HHS Parent Portal
To keep up with your child’s grades and attendance, please access the HHS Parent Portal. See attached for directions on how to access this.
Mission Accomplished–MCJROTC Thanksgiving Day Food Basket Drive
With the help of Hillie students and teachers, the MCJROTC cadets were able to collect more than 500 Thanksgiving Day food items to help our Haverhill families in need. The baskets also included a gift certificate for families to redeem a 20lb turkey from Market Basket. The MCJROTC cadets hand delivered each basket to the families just in time for the holidays. Job well done to all of Hillie Nation for thinking about the Haverhill community during this holiday season.
HHS Girls Swim and Dive Team
Congratulations to the HHS Girls Swim team who placed 6th at the MIAA Division I State Championship meet at WPI this past weekend. Senior Megan Carroll placed 4th in the diving portion of the meet. We would also like to congratulate Megan Driscoll for not only placing 3rdin the 100 breaststroke but for also setting a new school record. Congratulations ladies for all you do in and out of the classroom.
Thanksgiving Day Football Game: Kick off will be at 10:00 at Trinity Stadium on Thanksgiving Day. Good luck to Coach O’Connor and the entire Varsity team! We hope everyone can come out and support the team.
In September, the Cyber Café was opened to Seniors and Juniors during their study period. Due to the success of the rollout for Seniors and Juniors and because of their excellent behavior we have decided to expand it to all Sophomores starting this Monday, November 27th during their study period. It will be available periods A, B, C, D and J and is not open during lunch. They must have a special blue pass from their study hall teacher and they are limited to 20 minutes a visit.
HHS Annual Dodgeball Tournament
Annual Dodgeball Tournament was held on Tuesday and our winning team who came out on top was the Tune Squad.
KISS 108FM Turkey Toss
At 5:00 this morning 43 students boarded a bus to participate as one of only eleven schools in the KISS 108FM Annual Turkey Toss. Joe Efstratios and Dyle Bellemore had the honors representing HHS for the toss and catch. For a short time HHS was in the lead. Unfortunately, HHS came in 3rd place.School Counseling UpdatePSAT Score ReportsPSAT/NMSQT Score Reports will be available online beginning Wednesday December 13th. Any grade 10 or 11 student who took the PSAT/NMSQT in October and who provided an email address on their answer sheet will be able to log in to the College Board website with the access code and view their score reports online. Any student who is not able to log in to this site may see their counselor for assistance. Check your email on December 13th to get this important access code!On The Spot Admissions Events for SeniorsThe Counseling Office at HHS has worked hard to establish On the Spot Admission events for seniors this year. These events provide students with a chance to meet one on one with an admission representative, review application materials and the financial aid process, as well as receive an admissions decision. See the schedule below for a list of colleges coming to HHS. Interested seniors should see their counselor to sign up!
Scholarship InfoAFL CIO
- Curry College: Tuesday November 28th at 9am- Interested students should speak with Mr. Gwinn (email@example.com).
- Western New England University: Thursday November 20th from 9am-1pm- Students are encouraged to submit their Common Application prior to this date using the fee waiver WNEVIP.
- Fitchburg State University: Tuesday December 5th at 10am
- Northern Essex Community College: Monday December 11th from 9am-12pm
- Nichols College: Tuesday December 12th at 10am
- Mount Ida College: Tuesday December 19th at 10:30am
Merrimack Valley Credit Union Scholarship Award
- Applications are now available for the AFL-CIO annual scholarship program. This is an exam based program on Labor History. The scholarship exam consists of 30 multiple choice questions and one essay with a response of 250-500 words. The exam will be administered at HHS on Wednesday February 7, 2018. Any student interested in pursuing this scholarship award must complete an application and must sign up for the exam in advance. Details about the scholarship criteria can be found in Naviance. The deadline to sign up and submit your application in Guidance is Friday December 15th.
FAFSA Financial Aid WorkshopChyten Counselors and the HHS Guidance Department will be hosting a FREE financial aid workshop for students and families on December 9th from 2-4pm. At this workshop, representatives from American Student Assistance (ASA) will lead students and families through the process of completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and CSS PROFILE. If you would like to attend this free workshop, please click on the following link to register: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScxWjSklUhruVC4faC0jrm8M_Ld0edSboD0pIARtXpNB-C-0Q/viewform?usp=sf_link Space is limited so don’t hesitate to sign up. The link contains a list of information that you must bring with you on the day of the workshop. If you have any questions please feel free to contact Ariella Reidenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org or Harpreet Singh at email@example.com.FREE College Courses Offered at Northern Essex Community CollegeNorthern Essex Community College is offering FREE courses to students who qualify this spring. Students are able to choose from a list of available classes including Quantitative Reasoning, Intro to Sociology, Journalism I, Applied Math, Intro to Biology, and Intro to Criminal Justice. Space is limited and students will need to pass the Accuplacer in order to qualify for the course. For more information please see Samantha Massahos (School Counselor/Early College Coordinator) in the guidance department. She can also be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t miss out on this great opportunity to earn college credit while in high school…..for FREE!!If you have questions please contact Jami Dion, Supervisor of Guidance K-12 @ 978-374-5700 ext. 1133 or via email@ email@example.com
- The Merrimack Valley Credit Union has a great scholarship opportunity. There are six 2018 Scholarship Awards that will be awarded in the amount of $1,500 to graduating seniors in the Merrimack Valley area this year. All seniors who intend to enroll full-time in a certificate, associate’s, or bachelor’s program are eligible to apply. Scholarship applications and detailed instructions are available on the Merrimack Valley Credit Union website at www.mvcu.com/scholarship. All applications must be submitted via email. The deadline to submit your application is February 28th.
Calendar of Upcoming Events:
23-24 Thanksgiving Recess
27 Athletics: Winter Season Opens
29 Class Ring Information Night – Cafeteria 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
29, 30, December 1 – Class Ring Information Table – All three lunches
05 Site Council Meeting 3:00 p.m. Main Entrance Conference Room
06 Coffee House – 7:00 p.m. Library
11 Term 2 Progress Reports Issued
14, 15, 16 – A Christmas Carol – Thursday 7:00 p.m., Friday 7:00 p.m., Saturday 2:00 and 7:00 p.m.
19 Holiday Movie Night 6:30 Auditorium
20 Christmas Cabaret 7:00 p.m.
22 Winter Recess – Early Release at 10:30 a.m.
25-29 Winter Recess – No School
From everyone at HHS- Happy Thanksgiving!
Beth Kitsos, Principal