Haverhill High School
Principal’s Weekly Update- March 16, 2018
Parent Input Needed: NEASC Survey
If you haven’t had a chance to complete the NEASC Survey please take a moment to complete. NEASC will visit HHS in November of 2019. The responses from the parent, student and staff surveys will help guide us as we complete the self-study process. HHS currently has approximately 1850 students. So far we have received 198 parent responses which is 10.7%. See attached link below.
Please go to the website www.endicottresearchcenter.net. On that page you will see “here to take a survey” Enter the following survey code: P2W20095and click GO. Follow the instructions. Every statement on the survey must be responded to in order for your answers to be recorded. Skipped statements will be presented again until they are responded to. When you reach the last screen, click SUBMIT.
Thank you for your help with this important work.
Last Day of School
Currently with our nine weather related school day cancellations our last day of school is scheduled on Friday, June 22, 2018. This of course will shift with any additional days called. It is hard to believe that the first day of Spring is this Tuesday, March 20th.
Term 3 Update
Due to the recent snow days we have adjusted our Term 3 timeline.
- Term 3 – Last day 4.10.18
- Term 3 – Report Cards Posted in Portal 4.23.18
- Term 3 – Parent Teacher Conferences 4.26.18 (NEW DATE – Changed from April 12th due to the snow days)
From: Nancy Burke, Special Education ESP
We have many maple trees on school grounds. Social Studies teacher, Zack Simmons, has tapped a tree for us in the school orchard. This is such a wonderful experience for the students to see. Its right outside his class room window, overlooking the new orchard. Spring is almost here!
I also wanted to thank and congratulate again Nancy Burke who recently received a $300.00 grant. With this money, she has purchased many needed items for the school apartment, for cooking purposes. She has replaced some broken special adaptive cookie scoops, some safety knives, and a special apple peeler that has a hand crank, for students who cannot use a knife. They received multiples so many students can do the work at the same time. Pampered Chef, who has helped us over the years, has also donated many items. They should be delivered to the school sometime this week
Seniors Class of 2018:
Red Sox Tickets are now on sale for the Senior class trip to Fenway Park on May 15th. Tickets can be purchased in K30 from Mrs. McIntyre
Congratulations and hats off to our Hillie wrestling team who won the MVC-Large Team Sportsmanship Award! So very proud!
Sophomore Class of 2020
Dining for a Cause – Hope you can join them on Tuesday, March 20th anytime from 4:00 to 9:00 at the Haverhill 99 on River Street. The Ninety-Nine will donate 15% of the guest check to the Class of 2020.
Spring Sports Begin
We are all so excited that our Spring sports season kicks off on Monday. Good luck to all our players and coaches.Our Spring Teams include: Baseball, (V/JV/FR), Softball, (V/JV/FR), Tennis, B/G, Track and Field, B/G, Volleyball, B (V/JV), Lacrosse, B/G, (V/JV), Crew, B/G.
We are just three weeks away from the opening of our Spring Musical Mary Poppins. Our students have worked so hard for many weeks preparing for the our four shows. The curtain will go up on:
- Thursday, April 5th – 7:00 p.m.
- Friday, April 6th – 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday April 7th – 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
School Counseling Update
· The Counseling Department is hosting an AP Potential Informational Session for the parents/guardians of student interested in taking AP courses for the 2018-19 school year. This presentation will be held on Wednesday March 21st from 5-6pm in the HHS Library. Topics will include an overview and the benefits of taking AP courses while enrolled at HHS.
· The Counseling Department is hosting a College Information Night for the parents/guardians of current juniors. This presentation will be held on Wednesday March 21st from 6-7:30pm in the HHS Library. Topics will include an overview of the college search process, standardized testing, Naviance, and more.
·The HHS School Counseling Department is hosting the annual College Fair on Wednesday April 4th at 6pm in the Library. Many colleges and universities will be in attendance. We hope that you can join us!
Featured ScholarshipThe Haverhill Education Association Scholarship: Information and applications are now available inthe Counseling Office and in Naviance. Students who have attended Haverhill Public Schools since 5th grade andwho have been accepted to a 2 or 4 yr college are encouraged to apply. The deadline to submit this application tothe HEA is April 13th!
- Class of 2018, the HHS Scholarship Portal closes on March 31st. Seniors, you are encouraged to log in and review your submissions prior to the closing date. Directions on how to access the portal can be found on the School Counseling Department page on the HHS website http://hhs.haverhill-ps.org/scholarship-database-directions/.
Seniors: Remember to meet with our two College Access Counselors Ms. Ariella Reidenberg and Mr. Harpreet Singh. These counselors have been working diligently to find additional scholarship opportunities for students. All seniors are encouraged to sign up for a one-on-one meeting with the College Access Counselors by clicking here (or copy and paste this link into your browser: https://collegeaccesscounseling.setmore.com/. Our College Access Counselors are located in the back of the Guidance Office. Students are welcomed to bring a copy of their senior resume and, if they prefer, a personal laptop to work on scholarship applications. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Ms. Ariella Reidenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Harpreet Singh at email@example.com.
Have a wonderful week-end!
Beth Kitsos, Principal