Haverhill High School
Principal’s Weekly Update- January 19, 2018
Mary Poppins – Spring Musical – April 5-7, 2018
We are pleased to announce that the cast for Mary Poppins has begun rehearsing! Congratulations to Olivia Azzarito & Caitlin McCutcheon, playing Mary Poppins, JJ Castillo & Aaron Povenmire, playing Bert. The roles of Mrs. Banks will be performed by Erin Casey & Elizabeth George, and the role of Mr. Banks will be played by Ollie Longo and Kam Brooksmore. Jane Banks will be played by Natalie Plourde and Emily Hendrick, and Michael Banks will be played by Jared Filaseta and Elijah Martinez. We are so excited for this show and thanks to everyone who came to audition!
H.H.S. Classical Academy’s Trivia Night
H.H.S. Classical Academy’s Trivia Night will be held on Friday, January 26th, 2017 at 7:00 PM at the Amvets Hall 576 Primrose St, in Haverhill.
Teams $22 per person prepaid
or $25 at the door
Student Teams $10 per person
All proceeds benefit the H.H.S. Classical Academy’s Scholarship Fund! There will be prize for winning team, best table theme and best costume!!!
Contact the following teachers for information or to register your team:
Freshman: Mrs. Baker
Sophomores: Ms. Sabella
Juniors: Mr. Hayden
Seniors: Mr. Eldridge
An Important Message from Mrs. Begley, Health Teacher
I am proud to announce that starting next week, two staff members from “YouForward” will hold office hours at HHS in our Family Resource Center near the Library every Thursday from 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Ashley and Cisco will be available during the lunch hours for students who want to drop in and speak to them. YouForward supports young adults in the Haverhill area who feel they may have or who are experiencing mental health challenges. They will work with homeless and unaccompanied students (or those at risk) as well as student with mental health concerns to help find resources, develop independent living skills and provide general support.
Attention Juniors and Seniors! Spring Internship classes will start after school on January 25th. This is a great opportunity to see what it’s really like to be a part of the career you’re interested in. We have lots of great sites and can also customize to fit your interests. Stop by the Internship room, Library Room 6, for more information and to pick up an application.
Congratulations to Mr. Krebs who recently began a classroom project through DonorsChoose.org called “Chromebooks for Fully Integrated Classroom”. We were awarded five (5) Acer Chromebooks valued at $179.99 each. From their notification it stated “DonorsChoose.org is a free nonprofit website where teachers at your school can receive funding for student resources.” Congratulations and thank you Mr. Krebs!
Distinguished Service Award
This week I received notification that Tom O’Brien our Director of Athletics, Physical Education and Wellness, will be awarded the NIAA (National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association) Distinguished Service Award.This will be presented to Tom at the Massachusetts Secondary Schools Athletic Directors Association (MSSADA) Annual Awards Banquet at the end of March. Tom truly is most deserving of this honor and we are so very grateful for all he does for the students of Hillie Nation.
Hillie Talent Show
The Haverhill High School Talent Show is just around the corner! Please join our talented group of students on Thursday, January 25th at 6:30 p.m. in the auditorium. Tickets are $5.00 at the door.
Semester I/Term 2 report cards will be sent electronically via the Parent Portal after 3:00 on Monday, January 29th.Students without internet access will be given a paper copy of their report card. If you need a paper copy of the Term 2 report card please asked your child to visit the HHS Main Office and add their name to the Term 2 report card issued log.
Parent – Teacher Conferences are scheduled on Thursday, February 1st from 6:00 to 7:30 in the evening. Appointment logs for teachers and students will be distributed on Monday. We encourage all parents and guardians to attend this conference. All too often parent engagement decreases from middle school. It is our hope that you will request the meetings to continue the dialogue with the teachers for your child’s academic success at Haverhill High.
Semester I Finals Continue
HHS Semester I Final Exam Period
Reminder: Semester 1 final exam period continue through January 23rd. The schedule is as follows:
Breakfast 7:00 a.m. – 7:30 a.m.
1/22 – Periods EF & FG -7:30-9:30 a.m.
Periods GH& HI- 9:45-11:45- Bus pick up 11:50 a.m.
1/23 – Period J- 7:30-9:30 a.m.
Bus Pickup 9:45 a.m. – City van pickup 10:30 a.m.
Second Semester – Term 3 will start on January 24th. 8th Grade Foreign Language students will return as scheduled.
Students in full year courses which include AP and EMT will have class during their assigned period.
Last Day of School
We have had five school days canceled so far this year. Our last day of school is now scheduled on Monday, June 18, 2018.
Second semester begins on Wednesday January 24th. All second semester courses can be viewed in the Student Portal on School Brains. Students should log in and check their Student Portal account to see which classes they have in the new term as well as which classroom they are located in. You can find this information by choosing “Schedule” the Student Portal menu bar. Select Term 3 and click on “Display Schedule”. The start time and classroom location will pop up when you hover over the name of your class. Any student who does need a printed schedule can obtain one in the Main Office. If you are missing a class on your schedule, you should contact your guidance counselor BEFORE the semester begins!Scholarship InfoThe HHS Scholarship Portal re-opened on Friday January 12, 2018! If you logged on to the portal prior to January 6th, you are encouraged to log back in if you haven’t already as there have been updates to the demographic information required as part of the portal as well as additions to the list of scholarships. Directions on how to access the portal can be found on the School Counseling Department page on the HHS website http://hhs.haverhill-ps.org/scholarship-database-directions/. The portal will remain open until March 30th but don’t wait until the last-minute to apply!Our two College Access Counselors Ms. Ariella Reidenberg and Mr. Harpreet Singh have been working hard to find additional scholarship opportunities for our seniors and are eager to help them find those scholarships that are good match. All seniors are encouraged to sign up for a one-on-one meeting with the College Access Counselors by clicking here (or copy and paste this link into your browser: https://collegeaccesscounseling.setmore.com/. Our College Access Counselors are located in the back of the Guidance Office. Students are welcomed to bring a copy of their senior resume and, if they prefer, a personal laptop to work on scholarship applications. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Ms. Ariella Reidenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Harpreet Singh at email@example.com.The Haverhill Education Association Scholarship
- Information and applications are now available in the Counseling Office and in Naviance. Students who have attended Haverhill Public Schools since 5th grade and who have been accepted to a 2 or 4 yr college are encouraged to apply. The deadline to submit this application to the HEA is April 13th!
If you have questions about guidance please contact Jami Dion, Supervisor of Guidance K-12 @978-374-5700 ext. 1133 or via email @ firstname.lastname@example.orgHave a good week- end!Beth Kitsos @ email@example.comPrincipal
- The University of Connecticut is accepting applications for the Explore Engineering Summer Program 2018. This 5-day residential program offers the opportunity to explore various fields of engineering at the UConn, such as Biomedical Engineering, Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and more. Current grade 10 and 11 students who want to challenge their math and science skills are encouraged to apply. The cost for this program is $700 which includes on-campus housing and meals, instruction from UConn faculty, and access to state-of-the-art research facilities. The application deadline is May 1st. To learn more and apply, please visit their website at http://edoc.engr.uconn.edu/explore-engineering/
- The United States Naval Academy offers two summer programs for high school students each year. Additional information and applications for these programs should be completed online at https://www.usna.edu/Admissions/Programs/index.php.
- Summer Seminar– This is a competitive and fast-paced course for students who have completed their junior year of high school. Summer Seminar is ideal for students who are interested in pursuing an appointment to one of the service academies. Students will learn about life and academics at the Naval Academy. Online applications are now open for students interested in pursuing the Summer Seminar.
- Summer STEM Program- Interested in Engineering? Are you curious about what it takes to become an Engineer? Are you passionate about Math and Science? Are you going to be a sophomore or junior next year? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, the Summer STEM Program might be for you! This is a first come, first served opportunity so do not wait to apply!