Haverhill High School
Principal’s Weekly Update- January 13, 2018
Semester I Finals
Finals for first semester will be held on January 17th, 18th, 19th and 22nd. These will be two – two-hour sessions on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and one – two hour session on Monday. If students finish their final prior to the two hour session ending, they are expected to sit quietly in the classroom allowing enough time for others to complete their test. We encourage them to bring a book or study material for another class. We respectfully ask that you do not dismiss your child during class time. We want to be respectful of all students and allow them uninterrupted time to complete the test.
HHS Semester I Final Exam Period
Reminder: Semester 1 final exam period will begin January 17th through January 22nd. The schedule is as follows:
1/17 – Period A-7:30-9:30 a.m. Period B- 9:45-11:45- Bus pick up 11:50 a.m.
1/18 – Period C- 7:30-9:30 a.m. Period D-9:45-11:45- Bus pick up 11:50 a.m.
1/19 – Periods EF & FG -7:30-9:30 a.m.
Periods GH& HI- 9:45-11:45- Bus pick up 11:50 a.m.
1/22 – Period J- 7:30-9:30 a.m.
Bus Pickup @ 9:45 a.m. – City van pickup @ 10:30 a.m.
Students in full year courses which include AP and EMT will have class during their assigned period.
Term 2 – First Semester Report Cards – Parent-Teacher Conferences
Term 2 grades close on January 22nd. Our new report card will be electronically distributed via the parent portal on Monday, January 29th after 3:00 p.m. Students without internet access will be given a paper copy. If you need a paper copy please have your child visit the HHS Main Office and add their name to the report card issued log. Parent-Teacher Conferences will be held on Thursday, February 1st from 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
From Susan Finn, Dean of Business – DECA and the Financial Literacy Grant
On Thursday, January 11th, Mike Maguire and Susan Finn took 12 Haverhill High School students from the Business Marketing Class and the National Business Honor Society to the Regional DECA Competition held at Merrimack College. The competition included schools from Hamilton-Wenham, Danvers, Peabody, North Andover, Whittier Voc-Tech, Georgetown, and other regional schools.
This was our first DECA competition. We are incorporating DECA into our Marketing curriculum and will continue to grow this next year. DECA (also known as Collegiate DECA on the college level, and previously known as Delta Epsilon Chi and Distributive Education Clubs of America) is an international association of high school and college students and teachers of marketing, management and entrepreneurship in business, finance, hospitality, and marketing sales and service. The organization prepares leaders and entrepreneurs for careers and education in marketing, finance, hospitality, management, and other business areas. It gives students an advantage on their college, scholarship, and job applications.
Financial Literacy Grant
In May of 2013, Haverhill High School received its first Financial Literacy Grant from the State of Massachusetts Treasury. In 2013, 2014, and 2015 Haverhill received over $60,000.00 to bring Financial Literacy to Haverhill High School. During that time, we established the Money Matters class, we received professional development, acquired text books and technology, and established the Credit for Life Fair.
Since the end of the grant, we have been able to extend it to receive an additional $2000-$2500 a year to contribute towards our Credit for Life Fair. I am happy to say, we have just been approved for $2,000 for the 2018 Credit for Life Fair.
Financial Literacy is such an important part of the curriculum and student preparation for life outside of high school. Lori, Mike and I have continued to implement Financial Literacy into much of the curriculum. The State Treasury Department continues to support Haverhill’s Financial Literacy program. They have given us close to $70,000 since 2013.
Access 21 Glee Club
The Access 21 Glee Club will have a “Starry Night Coffee House” on January 18th at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library. Tickets are $5.00 at the door and they will be serving refreshments and hold a 50/50 raffle. Please park in the back of the building in parking lot E and F and enter through the library doors. Hope you can come by and support our talented Hillie students.Scholarship InfoOur two College Access Counselors Ms. Ariella Reidenberg and Mr. Harpreet Singh have been working hard to find additional scholarship opportunities for our seniors and are eager to help them find those scholarships that are good match. All seniors are encouraged to sign up for a one-on-one meeting with the College Access Counselors by clicking here (or copy and paste this link into your browser: https://collegeaccesscounseling.setmore.com/. Our College Access Counselors are located in the back of the Guidance Office. Students are welcomed to bring a copy of their senior resume and, if they prefer, a personal laptop to work on scholarship applications. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Ms. Ariella Reidenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Harpreet Singh at email@example.com.Merrimack Valley Credit Union Scholarship Award
- The Merrimack Valley Credit Union has a great scholarship opportunity. There are six 2018 Scholarship Awards that will be awarded in the amount of $1,500 to graduating seniors in the Merrimack Valley area this year. All seniors who intend to enroll full time in a certificate, associate’s, or bachelor’s program are eligible to apply. Scholarship applications and detailed instructions are available on the Merrimack Valley Credit Union website at www.mvcu.com/scholarship. All applications must be submitted via email. The deadline to submit your application is February 28th.
The Haverhill Education Association Scholarship
- Information and applications are now available in the Counseling Office and in Naviance. Students who have attended Haverhill Public Schools since 5th grade and who have been accepted to a 2 or 4 yr college are encouraged to apply. The deadline to submit this application to the HEA is April 13th!
Sophomores and juniors! Boston University is hosting a Winter Visit Day on Friday February 23rd from 9am to 3pm. This event will include an in-depth information session, covering everything from student life to study abroad opportunities to the admission process. Attendees will have an opportunity to tour the campus and residential community and learn about specific academic programs. Lunch will be provided in the dining halls. For more information about this event and to RSVP, please visit their website at http://www.bu.edu/admissions/visit-us/winter-visit-day/.If you have questions about guidance please contact Jami Dion, Supervisor of Guidance K-12 @ 978-374-5700 ext. 1133 or via email @ firstname.lastname@example.org
- The United States Naval Academy offers two summer programs for high school students each year. Additional information and applications for these programs should be completed online at https://www.usna.edu/Admissions/Programs/index.php.
- Summer Seminar– This is a competitive and fast-paced course for students who have completed their junior year of high school. Summer Seminar is ideal for students who are interested in pursuing an appointment to one of the service academies. Students will learn about life and academics at the Naval Academy. Online applications are now open for students interested in pursuing the Summer Seminar.
- Summer STEM Program- Interested in Engineering? Are you curious about what it takes to become an Engineer? Are you passionate about Math and Science? Are you going to be a sophomore or junior next year? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, the Summer STEM Program might be for you! This is a first come, first served opportunity so do not wait to apply!
15 Martin Luther King Jr. Day – No School ALL
17-22 Semester 1 Finals
18 Glee Club Coffee House – 7:00 Library – $5.00 at the door
23 Term 3 Begins
25 Talent Show 7:00 p.m. – Auditorium
26 Early Release Students 10:30 a.m. – Staff Professional Development
29 Term 2 Report Cards Issued – Parent Portal after 3:00 p.m.
29 Class of 2018 – Cap and Gown Fitting
Enjoy the long week-end!
Beth Kitsos, Principal- email@example.com