Haverhill High School
Principal’s Weekly Update- December 8, 2017
Term 2 Progress Reports Will be Issued Monday, December 11th during period J
HillieMUN (Model UN)
Today ended the HillieMUN with all of Haverhill’s Middle School (even a home schooled student) going above and beyond in research, writing and debate. JG Whittier took home the Best Delegation trophy. Additionally we had a moving and informative presentation from UNICEF USA’s Jessica Morris and Haverhill High School was awarded from all of New England’s schools the Certificate of Global Citizenship for our “Outstanding Commitment to Promoting UNICEF’s Mission and the Importance of Global Citizenship”. Thanks to Mr. Zach Simmons for doing a great job including our four middle schools, Hunking, ABC, JG Whittier, Nettle, and Hillview Montessori and Sacred Hearts in this wonderful program.
CLASS of 2019
All this week the Class of 2019 will be selling Holiday Candy Grams during all three lunches in the mall area. One for $1.00 and 5 for $4.00. Send a Holiday Candy Gram to someone and support the Class of 2019. All Candy Grams purchased will be delivered to the recipients in period A on Tuesday, December 12th.
Hillie’s Got TalentThe Hillie’s Got Talent auditions will be December 19th, 20th and January 2nd & 3rd from 2:30-3:30 in the VIP room. All are welcome! Sign up in the Guidance suite with Ms. Massahos or Ms. Foster!
HHS “A Christmas Carol”
The annual Haverhill High School production of “A Christmas Carol” will be next week on Thursday, December 14th at 7:00 p.m., Friday, December 15th at 7:00 p.m., and Saturday, December 16th at 2:00 & 7:00 p.m. Tickets are $8.00 for general admission and $5.00 for students and senior citizens, and they are available at the door. This is an amazing production! Hope to see everyone there!
HHS Art Club
HHS Art Club will be having a Handmade Ornament Sale to benefit the Emmaus House during all of the performances.
HHS Spring Musical!
It’s time to start thinking about auditions for the spring musical! The HHS spring musical this year is Mary Poppins, and we are looking for actors, singers, and dancers to come out and show us their talent at auditions on Wednesday, January 3rd, and Thursday, January 4th, from 2:15-4:15 in the HHS auditorium. No experience necessary, all are welcome! Please come prepared with an audition song in your vocal range. A track for your song is not required, but is strongly recommended! We look forward to seeing everyone there!
SUB ESP’s Needed @ HHS
HHS is looking for substitute ESPs. If you are interested in learning more about this opportunity please contact Ms. Sandra McArthur at 978-374-5712 for more information.School Counseling UpdatePSAT Score ReportsPSAT/NMSQT scores have been uploaded in Naviance. If students do not remember how to log in to Naviance, they should contact their counselor. Official PSAT/NMSQT Score Reports will be available online beginning Wednesday December 13th. Any grade 10 or 11 student who took the PSAT/NMSQT in October and who provided an email address on their answer sheet will be able to log in to the College Board website with the access code and view their score reports online, explore potential careers, and obtain personalized SAT practice plans through Khan Academy. Any student who is not able to log in to this site may see their counselor for assistance. Check your email on December 13th to get this important access code!On The Spot Admissions Events for SeniorsThe Counseling Office at HHS has worked hard to establish On the Spot Admission events for seniors this year. These events provide students with a chance to meet one on one with an admission representative, review application materials and the financial aid process, as well as receive an admissions decision. See the schedule below for a list of colleges coming to HHS. Interested seniors should see their counselor to sign up!
Scholarship InfoTis the season for scholarships! Seniors, be sure to check the available scholarships on Naviance each week. Additionally, the HHS Scholarship Portal will open in January. Stay tuned for more information on how to log in to this database!AFL CIO
- Northern Essex Community College: Monday December 11th from 9am-12pm
- Nichols College: Tuesday December 12th at 10am
- Fitchburg State University: Wednesday December 13th at 10am (rescheduled from 12/5)
- Mount Ida College: Tuesday December 19th at 10:30am
Merrimack Valley Credit Union Scholarship Award
- Applications are now available for the AFL-CIO annual scholarship program. This is an exam based program on Labor History. The scholarship exam consists of 30 multiple choice questions and one essay with a response of 250-500 words. The exam will be administered at HHS on Wednesday February 7, 2018. Any student interested in pursuing this scholarship award must complete an application and must sign up for the exam in advance. Details about the scholarship criteria can be found in Naviance. The deadline to sign up and submit your application in Guidance is Friday December 15th.
For questions about guidance please contact Ms. Jami Dion, Supervisor of Guidance K-12 @ 978-374-5700 ext. 1133 or via email @ firstname.lastname@example.orgTake care and enjoy the week-end!Beth Kitsos, Principal
- The Merrimack Valley Credit Union has a great scholarship opportunity. There are six 2018 Scholarship Awards that will be awarded in the amount of $1,500 to graduating seniors in the Merrimack Valley area this year. All seniors who intend to enroll full-time in a certificate, associate’s, or bachelor’s program are eligible to apply. Scholarship applications and detailed instructions are available on the Merrimack Valley Credit Union website at www.mvcu.com/scholarship. All applications must be submitted via email. The deadline to submit your application is February 28th.