Haverhill High School
Principal’s Weekly Update- 9/29/17
Term 1 Progress Reports Issued
Term 1 Progress reports were issued to all students. This progress report will show your child’s current grade at midterm as well as information on performance indicators in 2 categories: Student Engagement and Work Completion. If you did not receive one please contact the main office @ 978-374-5700 XT 1101 or 1102
Hillie Girl’s Volleyball Mattress Fundraiser
When: Sunday October 1, 2017 from 10:00 am-5:00 pm
Location: HHS Gymnasium
All proceeds will support our girl’s Volleyball Team’s 2018 Disney Orlando Tournament. where they will represent HHS in Orlando Florida.
Hillie Thank You!
A big Hillie thank you to Barbara Ziminski, from the Haverhill Garden Club, here in the city, who stopped by Haverhill High School and donated a brand new wheel barrow, and garden hose, for the students to use in the gardens.
Hillie Shout Out!
Congratulations to grade 9 student Carlito Colon, who took first prize in the coloring contest, at Topsfield Fair. Carlito, is our braille student! You can find it on the Topsfield Fair Facebook page!
Walk for Peace
On Saturday Mr. Polanco and our VIP team will be participating in the Haverhill Walk for Peace starting at Swasey Field and walking to Silver Hill Elementary School from 1:00 to 3:30. We hope if you are available you will be able to join our incredible VIP team and other community members on Saturday at 1:00.
Hillie Crew Team
Good luck to our Hillie Crew Team on their first competition of the year this weekend! Let’s take home the medal in the Textile River Regatta in Lowell this weekend!
School Counseling Update
- The PSAT/NMSQT will be offered to students in grades 10 and 11 on Wednesday October 11th at 7:25am. Students who take the PSAT receive important feedback on individual strengths and weaknesses as well as a personalized study plan for the SAT. Juniors who take the PSAT are considered for eligibility through the National Merit Scholarship Program. The cost for this test is $16. Payment can be made via cash, check (made payable to Haverhill High School), or bank check/money order. There are a limited number of spaces available. The last day to sign up is Monday October 2nd.
Information for Seniors
AP Student Expectations Agreement forms and AP exam deposits are due on October 20th. Forms were distributed at the AP Kickoff Parent Meeting last night and were given to AP teachers this week for those students who still need a copy. Any student enrolled in AP course(s) must submit a $45 deposit per exam. The completed form and payment can be turned in to the School Counseling Department. Payment may be made in the form of cash or check (payable to Haverhill High School). Please contact Mrs. Dion with any questions or concerns.
- College admission representatives are visiting HHS this fall. All scheduled visits are listed in Naviance under the “Colleges” tab. Students can sign up to meet with a college representative directly through Naviance or by signing up in the counseling office. Students must sign up a minimum of one day in advance and will receive a pass to attend this appointment in their first period class. Representatives from the following institutions will visit during the week of October 2nd: Saint Anselm College, Juniata College, Merrimack College, Newbury College, UMass Lowell, Suffolk University, Norwich University, Wentworth Institute of Technology, George Mason University, New England College, University of Rhode Island, Stonehill College, and the University of New England.
- Boston University is hosting several Fall Visit Days for students. These events will include an information session, covering everything from student life to study abroad opportunities to what makes an application competitive for admission. Students and their families will also tour residence halls, hear from a faculty member, and eat lunch in a dining hall. The events are scheduled for October 6th and 27th and run from 9am-1pm. Visit http://www.bu.edu/admissions/visit-us/discover-bu-in-the-fall/ for more information and to RSVP.
- The Ron Brown Scholar Program seeks to identify students who will make significant contributions to society. Applicants should demonstrate academic achievement, exihibit leadership ability, participate in community service activities, and have demonstrated financial need. To be eligible, applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents, Black/African-American, and current high school seniors. Each year, 20 or more students are selected as Ron Brown Scholars and receive $10,000 annually for four years. To be given early consideration students must apply by November 1st. The final deadline to submit scholarship materials is January 9th. Students who are interested in applying should visit the School Counseling Office for a copy of the application.
- Upcoming Events:
- MEFA College Financing Seminar– Thursday October 12th at 6:30pm in the HHS Auditorium (English presentation) and the Main Office Conference Room (Spanish presentation)
10/30 VIP – Walk for Peace 1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. From Swasey Filed to Silver Hill School
Homecoming Game vs. Methuen – 2:00 p.m. at Trinity Stadium
Homecoming Dance – Cafeteria – Students enter from the E Lot – 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. – Students must be picked up PROMPTLY at 10:00 p.m.
Tickets will be $5.00 at the door.
10/04 Tutoring Center Opens
10/06 Early Release for Students – Staff Professional Development Day
10/07 SAT Testing –Scheduled through CollegeBoard
10/09 Columbus Day – No School
10/11 PSAT Testing 7:30 a.m.
10/12 FY17 Free and Reduced Lunch Expires
10/12 MEFA College Financing Seminar 6:00 Auditorium
10/13 Picture Retake Day – Auditorium
10/18 Academy Information Night – Grades 608 Auditorium
10/19 Foreign Language National Honor Society Induction 7:00 Library
10/20 AP Students – Agreement Forms and Deposits Due
10/28 ACT Test
Have a wonderful Week-end!