Haverhill High School
Haverhill High School – Weekly Update 9.21.18
Shelter in Place
This morning the Haverhill Police Department received a call from an individual that made a threat that raised concerns. We take all alleged threats concerning the safety and security of our students, staff and campus very seriously, as does the Haverhill Police department. A shelter in place was immediately instituted. All staff and students acted appropriately and all protocols were followed. A sweep was conducted in the building. The Haverhill Police cleared the campus and found the threat non-credible. As Mrs. Marotta stated in her robo call, “At no time was anyone in danger of harm”. This is an on-going investigation and has been taken over by the Haverhill Police Department.
As many of you are aware, we have had difficulties filling two important teaching positions at Haverhill High. Both are in the Science department – Physics and Earth Science Teachers. The positions were posted, reposted and many interviews completed. Starting this Monday a Long-Term Substitute will be in place in the Physics classroom and by mid-week a permanent teacher will be in Earth Science.
We are truly committed to making it right and giving the students any additional help they need in the days and weeks ahead. We thank you all for your patience and understanding.
Wednesday, October 17th – 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Join members of the HHS community for a potluck dinner. Teachers and families are invited to bring their favorite dish. Come and see some of the GREAT work our students do. Child-friendly activities will be provided.
GREAT: GLOBAL, RESPONSIBLE, ENGAGED, ACCEPTING and TENACIOUS!
Spirit Week Class T-Shirts:
Freshman: Class of 2022: Class T-Shirts – $25.00 – Order forms main office and in K30 with Ms. McIntyre – Due September 25th
Sophomores: Class of 2021 – Class T-Shirts – $25.00 – Order forms main office and in M17 with Ms. Pettis – Due September 25th
Junior: Class of 2020 – Class T-shirts – $25.00 – Order forms Guidance Suite with Mrs. Breslin or Ms. Massahos – Due September 25th
Seniors: Class of 2019 – Class T-Shirts – $25.00 – Order forms room K32 with Mr. Simmons – Due September 25th
SchoolBrains – Parent Portal
The HHS Parent Portal is an excellent way to stay up to date with your child’s grades, attendance, progress report, report cards and more. If you do not have access to the parent portal then please contact our main office at 978-374-5700 x1100 to verify your email address in the database. When that is verified then please email: email@example.com to request a password.
Haverhill High School Site Council
Site Councils were established to advise the principal on management issues within the school building. A site council is a school building based committee focused on improving the school and plays a role in shaping the policies and programs of the school. The Site Council members are administrators, teachers, community and or business representatives, parents and students.
Haverhill High School will be holding the 2018-2019 Site Council meetings on the following dates:
2018: October 1, November 5, December 3
2019: January 7, February 4, March 4, April 1, May 6, June 3
Time: 3:00 p.m.
Place: 137 Monument Street, Haverhill, MA 01832
Main Entrance – Conference Room
The agenda for October 1, 2018:
- Welcome and Introductions
- Approval of the Minutes of the June 2018 Meeting
- HHS Mission – NEASC (Handout)
- HHS Staff Calendar (Handout)
- HHS Budget (Handout)
- HHS School Turnaround Plan Update
- November District Training Expectation
- Goals for FY19
TOP TEN REASONS TO JOIN A SITE COUNCIL
- Help give direction to the schools
- You know what’s going on in the school.
- It is a way to be heard.
- Get to know and work with other parents, teachers and administrators.
- Be an agent of change and improvement.
- Gain multiple perspectives on educational issues and options.
- Make a real difference in student achievement.
- You are at the center of the action in the school.
- It feels good to be an advocate for students.
- Improvement planning makes a difference.
Free and Reduced Lunch Forms
A quick reminder that all Free and Reduced Lunch forms (New and Renewals) are due by Monday, October 15th. Please note that the 2017-2018 Free and Reduced Lunch Forms expired on Monday, October 15th. If you have not processed your form for the 2018-2019 school year, please do so immediately. Any questions please contact Zoraida Jordan in the Food Service Department at 978-374-3423.
Haverhill High School Late Bus – 2018-2019
- Start date: Tuesday, September 18, 2018
- Bus will run every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
- Bus will depart HHS promptly at 3:15 p.m. from the regular bus lanes.
- Students must have a LATE BUS PASS from their teacher in order to board the bus.
- Students are not allowed to roam the hall at the conclusion of their commitment.
- Student must sign in with the administrator in room S13 prior to boarding the bus. (Sign in sheet and bus stop sheet)
- This is not a door to door service. Stops are centrally located throughout the city.
- LEAVES HHS AT 3:15 p.m.
- DUNKIN DONUTS – 614 BROADWAY
- VARIETY STORE – 864 BROADWAY
- RIVER STREET AT MICHAELS FUNTION HALL
- RIVER STREET AT JAFFARIAN MOTORS
- TILTON SCHOOL – 70 GROVE ST.
- LAFAYETTE SQUARE – IN FRONT OF CVS
- CITY HALL – 4 SUMMER ST.
- HAVERHILL STADIUM – LINCOLN AVE.
- CHARLIES VARIETY – 277 GROVELAND ST.
- MILLVALE ROAD AND EAST BROADWAY
- WINNEKENNI CASTLE – 347 KENOZA AVE.
- DUNKIN DONUTS – 407 AMESBURY RD.
- 10th AVE AND MAIN ST.
- 440 NORTH AVENUE
- SMILEY SCHOOL – 969 MAIN ST.
- 703 MAIN STREET
- FARRWOOD DRIVE – BRADFORD
- FARRWOOD DRIVE – BRADFORD
- DIBURRO’S FUNCTION HALL – 887 BOSTON RD
- ACADEMY LANES -725 SOUTH MAIN ST.
- OLD BRADFORD COLLEGE -320 SOUTH MAIN ST.
- RITE AID – 68 SOUTH MAIN STREET
- BUS BEGINS NEW ROUTE
Safety is the first priority of our school. Riding on the late bus is a privilege, not a right. Students are expected to follow and adhere to all bus rules. Any violations of our policies and rules by a student may result in the suspension of the student’s privilege of riding the late bus.
Upcoming Events – October 2018
Spirit Weeks Begins
Site Council – First meeting of the new year. All are welcome – 3:00 p.m. Main Entrance Conference Room
Term 1 Progress Reports Issued in Parent Portal
Last day for Juniors and Sophomores to sign up for PSAT’s in the Guidance Department
Class of 2019 – Class Picture Outside
Early Release – 10:30 a.m. – Staff Professional Development Day
Bonfire – HHS Track – 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Haverhill High School Students Only
Picture Retake Day – this includes all students who do not have a picture in our database.
Homecoming Football Game – 2:00 p.m. – Trinity Stadium
No School – Columbus Day
PSAT 7:30 a.m. (Juniors and Sophomores who registered)
Access 21 – Robotics – After school program begins
Access 21 – Glee Club – After school program begins
Access 21 – Life Skills Enrichment – After school program begins
Class Pride Day – Class T-Shirts
Homecoming Dance – 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. – Cafeteria
Haverhill High School Students Only
FY18 Free and Reduced Lunch Forms EXPIRE – All New and Renewed Due
Foreign Language National Honor Society – Induction Ceremony – Auditorium 6:00 p.m.
Supper Club with Faculty and Parents – 6:00 p.m. – Cafeteria